Saturday, May 12, 2012

scars

I have always had a fascination with scars.  Even though I admit to not wanting to "know someone past the surface", I love the story that comes along with a good scar.

The love of my life carries with him a very prominent scar that tells an amazing story of faith and love for the Lord. I could sit and listen to him tell this story a million times over. As I looked at this scar last night, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness that he is still here. That he is here for me to love.

That he is here to teach me why I have my scars and how to embrace them.

I carry with me scars of new life.  These visible scars remind me of those 18 months that I carried and nurtured my two wonderful children.  For several years I was disgusted with them and would do almost anything to hide them.  I have learned recently that they are merely 'battle scars' of something that is nothing short of a miracle.  Now I am proud of them.  Without them, I wouldn't have my precious Sammie and my darling Mahlon.

I also carry a few invisible scars.  Ones that have made me the strong independent woman I am today.  Ones that the Lord has used to bring me closer to Him.  Ones that have truly tested my faith on a daily basis.

Some of these scars are from a past that I spent many years building walls around only to have someone with true love and compassion break them down and teach me that forgiveness is necessary.  That "forgiveness will set you free".

Some of these scars are from a "bloody hand to hand combat" that caused a death inside of me.  Death of an old life.  Death of a believing yet unfaithful daughter to my Father in Heaven.

This death also brought about a new life.  A life where I depend on the Lord for everything.  A life where I let Him guide my every step.  A life where I cry out for Him in the good times and the bad. 

A  life where I have become the believing and faithful daughter. 

1 comment: